The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
The Department of Ophthalmology/Roski Eye Institute and Keck School of Medicine of USC (KSOM) are expanding their strong vision research program. The Department invites applications for a full-time tenure track or tenured faculty position at Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor ranks.
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the Trojan Family. The USC Department of Ophthalmology/Roski Eye Institute has been named one of the top 20 “Best Hospitals” in the United States for 30 years by US News & World Report. For fiscal year 2022, the department was ranked #5 among all ophthalmology departments in the country in terms of NIH funding, according to the Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research.
Job Accountabilities (include but are not limited to):
- Conduct productive and impactful vision research, as evidenced by peer-reviewed scientific publications and extramural research funding.
- Form productive intra-departmental and inter-departmental collaborations with other faculty and contribute to broadening the Department of Ophthalmology/USC Roski Eye Institute’s vision research program.
- Participate in mentoring and training of graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and residents.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Successful applicants will have earned a Ph.D., M.D., or M.D./Ph.D., completed postdoctoral training, hold a record of accomplishments with peer-reviewed publications and demonstrate either a track record of successful extramurally funded research or show strong potential for developing innovative research programs that attract extramural funding.
- Candidates conducting basic, translational, or clinical research in the National Eye Institute’s (NEI) areas of emphasis (Regenerative Medicine, Biology and Neuroscience of Vision, From Genes to Disease Mechanisms, Immune System and Eye Health, Data Science, Public Health, and Disparities) are encouraged to apply.
- Interest and ability to secure a joint appointment in a basic science (KSOM) or engineering (Viterbi School of Engineering) department and/or membership in one of the intra-school institutes at USC: Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research, Ginsburg Institute for Biomedical Therapeutics (GIBT), Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute (ZNI), Institute for Technology and Medical Systems (ITEMS), and USC Michelson Center for Convergent Biosciences (MCB).
Position and Compensation :
This full-time faculty position is exempt with an annual base salary range of $ 100,000 to $ 150,000. The annual base salary is dependent on the rank hired into and commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education or training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Applicants should apply for this position at the USC job posting website and provide the following documents: 1. Cover letter that includes a brief personal statement detailing research area, key accomplishments and future research plans, 2. Curriculum Vitae, 3. Contact information for three (3) references (name, email address, telephone number, and current position/affiliation). Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. For inquiries on the application process, please send an email to Norma T. Sayoto at Norma.Sayoto@med.usc.edu. For inquiries about the position, please contact Cheryl Craft, Ph.D. at Cherylmae.Craft@med.usc.edu, Mahnaz Shahidi, Ph.D. at email@example.com, or Sarah Hamm-Alvarez, Ph.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Southern California strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. Women and men, and members of all racial and ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Apply on this job post