The Associate Administrator, Clinical Risk Management, is responsible for administrative oversight of the Keck Medicine of USC Office of Integrated Risk Management Clinical risk division. This position will have direct oversight of the Clinical Risk Management directors and/or managers of the system level service. They will demonstrate the leadership, innovation, and management necessary to identify, evaluate, mitigate and monitor the Health System’s clinical risk. Works in collaboration with Leadership in the development of the risk management strategy and annual goals. They will facilitate the identification of risk management trends across various entities and will be directly responsible for the data strategy and management required to build an integrated picture of system clinical risk. They are responsible for oversight of the development and coordination of risk management programs. In addition, Associate Administrator will provide subject matter expertise support to both Hospital and Medical Group Risk Managers and Directors across Keck Medicine to establish best practices for adoption and assure the organization’s policies and procedures are in full compliance with applicable regulations. The Associate Administrator will have oversight for the development of the Health System’s Risk Management Plan as it pertains to clinical risk management and ensures alignment across the system with its objectives. They assist in coordinating and executing the workforce Risk Management training strategy for faculty and staff. This role will demand excellent interpersonal skills, and they must be able to communicate authentically and diplomatically with a variety of leaders across all levels of the organization. The Associate Administrator will manage clinical risk staff, education, presentations, and issues, and support the Culture of Safety Initiative. The Associate Administrator will coordinate with the Executive Administrator and data analyst for any claims activity and analysis.
- Leadership • Responsible for leading the development and execution of the Keck Medicine of USC Office of Integrated Risk Management Clinical Risk Team. • Responsible for planning, directing, and administering business analysis, risk modeling, and loss prevention programs • Works in collaboration with Leadership in the development of the risk management strategy. • Is a liaison between the staff, Board of Directors, and stakeholders. • Assists with short and long-term strategic planning • Provides leadership to establish priorities and to develop and implement solutions. • Responsible for strategic leadership in identifying, evaluating, and mitigating risk across Keck Medicine of USC. • Leads the organization in the identification and formulation of best practice procedures for the prevention of risk and response to adverse patient events. • Provides a subject matter expertise support to Risk Managers and Directors, all Hospitals and Medical Group, across Keck Medicine of USC. • Is a key contributor to the development of the Health System Risk Plan and leads operational efforts related to clinical risk aligning its objectives across the Keck Medicine. • Responsible for completion of assigned Risk Plan and facility goals. • Responsible for evaluating the performance of the various departments to ensure they are in alignment with organizational objectives. • Collaborates and assists in the program growth, direction, and development of the Culture of Safety Journey in coordination with the Senior Manager for Keck Professionalism Program, including TeamSTEPPS, Care for the Caregiver, SCORE Sensitive Exam/Procedures and Adverse Event Management under the direction of the Executive Administrator. • Acts as an executive for Keck with respect to risk programs that interface with the university.
- Legal/Regulatory: • Maintains current knowledge of applicable State and Federal regulations. • Ensures System Risk Management policies and procedures are in compliance with applicable State and Federal regulations. • Collaborates with General Counsel to coordinate the investigation of events that could give rise to legal liability. • Provide guidance and expertise to the Clinical Risk Management of the Keck Medicine of USC Enterprise: ◦ Oversee high level incident reporting trends and provide recommendations for proactive means to address. ◦ Hold Risk team members accountable for the incident reporting system. ◦ Provide recommendations for safety, sentinel, never events. ◦ Lead the SERC/Root Cause Analysis Process, delegate when appropriate. ◦ Be Membership of governance/committees to provide Risk Management consultation towards policies, initiatives, and activity at Keck Medicine of USC ◦ Provide risk consult recommendations when requested. • Continue and Innovate Office of Integrated Risk Management with Best Practices: ◦ Continue projects such as Risk Roundings, Department protocol re-design, Great Catch program, Safety Ambassadors, Medication History and Reconciliation initiative, Opioids, etc. to continue proactive measures in risk mitigation. ◦ Identify gap in best practices and implement, as appropriate, to the Office of Integrated Risk Management or for the Keck Medicine of USC enterprise in efforts of risk mitigation • Work closely with various departments to develop and communicate policies and programs directed at controlling risk. • Monitor major risk exposures and operational risk considerations, with the goal of reducing overall risk. • Oversees investigation of risk management issues and serves as liaison with regulatory stakeholders.
- Information Technology: • Assists and collaborates with Executive Administrator in the development of a data strategy that informs key leadership and the Governing Board of an integrated picture of System Risk. • Interprets metrics from across the system to identify System trends related to Risk Management to support proactive identification and monitoring. • Responsible for leading data management and analysis of Health System Risk Metrics. ◦ Oversees the development of statistical and qualitative reports on trends and patterns and communicates to appropriate audiences. ◦ Oversees the development of indices to monitor the effectiveness of the risk management program. ◦ Provides stakeholders with progress reports and data and recommendations.
- Fiscal/Budgetary: • Responsible for the management and monitoring of Health System Integrated Risk Management Budget as it applies to the clinical risk team. • Ensures resource utilization in a cost-effective manner.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills • Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills necessary for effective collaboration with individuals across all levels of the Health System and University. • Promotes authentic and diplomatic communication necessary for the successful implementation of system-wide Risk Management objectives. • Demonstrates skill in clearly communicating complex problems and objectives across various levels from informal to the System Board.
- Education and Training • Responsible for identifying and coordinating strategic educational training opportunities across the health system for faculty and staff. • Develop Educational Programming standardization and identify areas needing further training: ◦ Coordinate and identify areas requiring education on Clinical Risk Management preventative strategies, patient safety, and Culture of Safety. ◦ Present to identified areas as expert. ◦ Hold Risk team member(s) accountable for continuing efforts to educate on the importance of incident reporting and patient safety. ◦ Continue efforts in building robust intranet site for the Office of Integrated Risk Management. • Oversees recruitment, training, development, coaching and performance evaluations for direct reports. ◦ Performs ongoing needs assessment for each team member.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- 8-10 years Experience in increasingly responsible positions within Risk Management and/or Clinical Setting
- 3-5 years Experience managing in a complex organization with a variety of stakeholders required.
- Demonstrated experience in providing support for risk management leadership in both the medical group and hospital setting.
- Excellent data management and analysis skills required
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with a wide variety of constituents.
- Master’s degree Masters or J.D. Degree in a related field.
- Certification – Job Relevant CPHRM Certification preferred
- Experience in designing and executing a Health System-level Risk Management program.
- Experience at an Academic Medical Center.
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The annual base salary range for this position is $191,360.00 – $315,744.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post