The Department of Family Medicine of the Keck School of Medicine of USC provides care for every member of the family, across generations and over lifetimes. We aim to enhance the quality of life for underserved and vulnerable patients, while educating future generations of highly skilled, compassionate primary care specialists. Our goal is to combine education, patient advocacy, and evidence-based research to advance family medicine and geriatrics.
The Department of Family Medicine is seeking an energetic, self-motivated team player with solid organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills to join its finance team as a Budget/Business Technician to support day-to-day departmental financial needs.
Job responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Review, approve and log income and expenses in university financial systems (Workday, Concur, Beacon) into a tracking system
- Reconcile internal records (account balance and activity) with university financial records. Research and resolve problems
- Process and track cost transfers (non-payroll and payroll)
- Assist with tracking of cash receipts, generate invoices, and follow up with vendors for outstanding payments
- Track equipment purchases
- Determine when budget adjustments are required and prepare in accordance with university financial guidelines or agency requirements and restrictions
- Research and gather data for departmental reports. Conduct preliminary analysis of data. Recommend report content and format to display findings most effectively
- Assist with annual budget development and submission
- Assist in local planning of short- and long-term budgets by compiling and organizing data for use in forecasts
- Process payroll for faculty, staff, and students. Monitor and reconcile payroll activity
- Stay current with department, school and university financial policies and procedures. Serve as an internal resource and assist faculty and staff in financial transactions such as procuring goods/services and accounting for travel expenditures and reimbursements
Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time
Qualifications for the job include:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications – especially Excel (pivot tables and formulas), Teams, and PowerPoint – Zoom, and Adobe Acrobat
- Aptitude to maintain attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Effective communication skills (written and oral), reading comprehension skills and relationship-building skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, including ability to research, organize and analyze information
- Anticipate potential issues and be proactive in formulating solutions
- Self-starter with results-oriented focus
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments and time sensitive issues and meet strict deadlines with minimal supervision
- Must exercise a high level of confidentiality and discretion
Additional information pertinent to this specific position:
- This position is full-time, non-exempt / 37.5 hours per week (7.5 hours worked with unpaid 30-minute lunch per day)
- Eligible for hybrid work schedule (on-campus and remote). Need to be flexible to be on-campus as needed.
- Preferred education: Bachelor’s degree
- Preferred experience: 1-2 years of directly related work experience. Knowledge of university systems and procedures such as Workday and Concur a plus.
Required Application Documents:
- Cover Letter and CV/Resume. Incomplete applications may not receive full consideration.
The hourly rate range for this position is $22.77 – $25.50. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related office financial experience to provide a knowledge of accounts payable, income and expense accounting and reconcilement, and budget preparation.
Apply on this job post