Thomas Lord Department of Computer Science at USC Viterbi School of Engineering seeks to recruit two Budget/Business Technicians to join its outstanding team of faculty, staff, and students. The Department of Computer Science has a significant and dynamic student population that is home to more than 5,800 students.
These are new positions at the Lord Department that will support general administrative operations, while providing more specialized and dedicated support to the research administration team. We seek agile and entrepreneurial candidates who embrace change and actively seek opportunities for growth in a dynamic environment. If you thrive on adaptability and are eager to take on new challenges, we encourage you to apply.
These roles report directly to the Manager of Research Administration at the Lord Department. Both positions will be tasked with supporting a team of seven research administrators and providing administrative support to department’s Senior Business Officer, as well as other senior staff, on an as-needed basis.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Execute a wide-range of financial and administrative support tasks for the Lord Department.
- Assist the research administration team in faculty and student financial transactions such as purchasing equipment and supplies, coordinating travel, and accounting for travel expenditures and reimbursements. Support budget preparation and proposal submissions in partnership with research administration staff.
- Interact with vendors and pay invoices. Prepare and process department purchase orders, check requests, requisitions (internal and external), procurement card requests, consultant payments, and honoraria.
- Perform a combination of duties related to the processing and monitoring of business transactions related to restricted and unrestricted accounts (discretionary, gift and grants accounts).
- Maintain internal account records and reconcile account balances and activity to university financial records; corrects errors if necessary.
- Assist in performing analyses of technical, clerical, and administrative on tasks related to budgets, including sponsored research accounts, requisitions, purchase orders, work orders, travel documents, transfer request forms, etc.
- Assist senior team members – including the Senior Business Officer, Executive Assistant to the Chair and/or Manager of Research Administration – on ad-hoc special projects, assignments, and event coordination/support.
Job duties may be added or modified as needed.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the mission of the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. Viterbi staff are expected to facilitate a culture of support and service, to model civility and respectful engagement at all times, and to maintain the highest ethical standards and to maintain strict confidentiality across all facets of their work.
This is a hybrid position. The Budget/Business Technician will be expected to work fully onsite for the first three months of employment, and will subsequently be eligible to work 3 dates onsite, with 2 days of remote flexibility. This position is not eligible for fully remote work.
The hourly rate range for this position is $23.10 – $25.68. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope of responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
- Knowledge and experience in WorkDay and SAP Concur.
- Knowledge of USC purchasing and travel/expense guidelines.
- Previous University experience in a research setting.
Required Applicant Documents:
A resume/CV is required. Please feel free to upload your application materials in a single document.
USC and the Viterbi School:
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students, and staff that make the university what it is.
Founded in 1905, the USC Viterbi School of Engineering is named for Andrew Viterbi who developed an algorithm to connect the world’s citizens. Similarly, the school, located in Los Angeles, a global center for arts, technology and international business in the heart of the Pacific Rim, is a hub for entrepreneurship that connects students from 64 countries.
USC Viterbi is a pioneer in restoring sight to the blind; restoring memory to sufferers of Alzheimer’s; and socially assistive robots to aid seniors with stroke or children with autism. It is the home of the first operational quantum computing center in academia. Our alumni include Neil Armstrong, first human on the moon; A.C. Mike Markkula, co-founder of Apple; and Wanda Austin, former CEO of the Aerospace Corporation.
The USC Viterbi School is consistently ranked among the top graduate programs (U.S. News and World Report). Under the leadership of Dean Yannis C. Yortsos, the school helped re-imagine the 21st century engineer, pioneering the Grand Challenge Scholars Program in schools across the globe. Our mission is to serve California, the nation and the world. At USC Viterbi, we call this the enabling power of Engineering+.
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related office financial experience to provide a knowledge of accounts payable, income and expense accounting and reconcilement, and budget preparation.
Apply on this job post