The Clinical Authorization Specialist will take the lead in securing medical authorizations from third party payers (commercial and government) for outpatient clinic, inpatient admission, ancillary services and/or chemotherapy and other infused treatments as needed in assigned service line. The Specialist will be instrumental in obtaining written documentation, submitting tracking, reporting and documenting outcomes of each authorization request. The Specialist will be in a position to interface directly with medical/clinical staff and pharmacy to ensure a seamless process to the patients receiving treatment.
The Specialist – Clinical Authorization will take the lead in securing medical authorizations from third party payers (commercial and government) for outpatient clinic, inpatient admission and ancillary services as needed. The Representative will be instrumental in obtaining written documentation, submitting, tracking reporting and documenting outcomes of each authorization request. The Representative will be in a position to interface directly with medical and clinical staff to ensure a seamless process to the patients receiving outpatient clinic, inpatient admission and /or ancillary services.
- Actively obtain written clinical documentation for ambulatory clinic consultation/examinations, OT/PT, procedural, treatment authorizations in Keckcare for authorization submission from Medical/Nursing Staff.
- Submit pre-certification/pre determination documentation to third party payers/payers insurance carrier for authorization with correct CPT and ICD coding
- Research payers medical policy requirements for ambulatory clinic consultation/ examinations, OT/PT, procedural, treatment authorizations and understand process for submitting pre-certification/pre- determination requests
- Utilize Excel tracking log to document authorization requests, follow-up on items and provide outcomes to the Supervisor daily, prior to end of shift.
- Follow-up on outstanding authorization requests and on medical documentation requests in a timely manner.
- Enroll patients in manufacturer patient assistance programs as needed and follow-up regarding enrollment and/or medication reimbursements
- Communicate with a medical/clinical/pharmacy staff and patients on authorization status/outcome.
- Employ compliance checker for Medicare eligible ambulatory clinic consultation/ examinations, OT/PT, procedural, treatment authorizations and scan/email ABNS to front area reception for signatures as needed.
- Coordinate with Director on denied or disputed claims to obtain documentation to support ambulatory clinic consultation/ examinations, OT/PT, procedural, treatment
- Exhibit sensitivity to the patients at all times concerning privacy and confidentiality while accessing medical records for ambulatory clinic consultation/ examinations, OT/PT, procedural, treatments to process authorizations requests
- Scan all authorizations into Keck care under the respective patient accounts and if applicable, forward authorized orders to pharmacy for dispensing
- Maintain medical policy coverage binder and keep updated with new policies and forms regarding medications FDA indicated usage and authorization requirements.
- Document authorization outcome in all financial systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent Or equivalent evidence in file.
- 2 years Experience in a hospital, medical office/doctor’s office or working for a health insurer.
- Excellent time management, organizational skills, research/analytical skills, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), and interpersonal skills
- Able to function independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service behavior.
- Experience in area of service.
- Medical Prior Authorizations or Claims experience in a managed care setting.
- Orthalmic experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of the health insurance industry and claims processing.
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $25.00 – $39.69. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post