The Clinical Laboratory Scientist performs a variety of standardized and highly specialized Blood Banking, analysis in the Clinical Laboratory. The Clinical Laboratory Scientist is responsible for the accuracy, reliability and timeliness of patient test results used for the diagnosis, management, and treatment of patients. CLS will be responsible for performing manual, semi-automated and automated procedures in accordance with CAP and AABB standards. Utilizes standard laboratory equipment, and records and checks result for completeness and accuracy. Performs data entry of diagnostic information.
- Performs a variety of manual, semi-automated and automated Biochemical, Hematological, Microbiological and/or Blood Bank analysis on varied patient specimens, maintaining a high degree of accuracy, reliability and productivity.
- Recognizes normal, abnormal, unusual and critical results and takes appropriate action as established by laboratory policy, including appropriate considerations for the age of the patient.
- Demonstrates proficiency in clerical and computer functions, for communicating results and for carrying out additional clinical and clerical duties to meet the needs of the Department.
- Assures results are available within defined TAT guidelines.
- Communicates and interacts effectively with co-workers, guests of the Institution and hospital clinical staff.
- Maintains professional growth and development.
- Participates in the Department’s Quality Assurance Program and continuing education sessions.
- Help monitor supply levels, communicating with the supervisor for supplies that are needed, assisting in monitoring inventory, as assigned
- Assists in training personnel.
- Functions independently in performing responsibilities, organizing and prioritizing work, assisting others when work is caught up.
- Adheres to Safety / Infection Control guidelines using personal protective equipment as required
- Willingness to take on new tasks and additional responsibilities
- Displays flexibility to cover the lab in emergencies and difficult staffing situations
- Obtains specimens from designated patients as necessary.
- Adheres to established Hospital and Departmental policies and procedures.
- Possesses both a theoretical and working knowledge of all procedures and instrumentation in assigned areas. Understands the clinical significance of each test performed.
- Identifies and correct problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results. Adheres to, performs and documents all calibration, maintenance and quality control as required according to the laboratory policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree And/or equivalent training for California Clinical Laboratory Scientist or California Specialty (Limited) License.
- 1 year Prior experience and/or CLS training to include: specialized and complex analysis, quality control, calibration, QC evaluation, inventory control, preventative maintenance, and quality improvement related to Clinical Laboratory field.
- Organization/time management skills.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work with physicians, staff and professionals in multiple settings and locations and to promote diversity in the workplace.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills including Microsoft Office applications
- ASCP Certification
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist – CLS OR Limited license from the State of California.
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $46.00 – $76.07. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post