The Pharmacist provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care through integrated drug distribution, clinical services and education.
- 1. Medication Process Responsibilities Accurately and timely verifies and checks accuracy of medication orders through Cerner. a. Efficiently evaluates patient profile for appropriateness of medication orders (i.e, appropriate dosage based on patient parameters, duplicate therapy, side effect profile, cost-effectiveness and accuracy. b. Accurately and efficiently verifies all medications dispensed. c. Follows investigational drug procedures. d. Maintains oversight of daily pharmacy operations, including supervision of all drug distribution activities and ensures compliance with all sterile compounding regulations. e. Maintains oversight of narcotic dispensing, reconciliation and resolving discrepancies. f. Ensures compliance of pharmacy policies in accordance with federal, state and local laws and regulations pertaining to the dispensing of drugs and controlled substances. g. Recommends and facilitates changes/improvements to pharmacy workflow/operations.
- 2. Supervises technicians Actively supervises and coordinates technician responsibilities. Assists with mentorship and training of pharmacy technicians and pharmacy interns.
- 3. Teamwork a. Maintains strong working relationships and open communication with medical and nursing staff. Information pertaining to pharmaceutical supply availability, drug usage and compatibility, and state and federal regulations pertaining to drug controls, is clearly and consistently communicated to the hospital community. b. Willing /able to perform duties outside of normal responsibilities when needed. c. Volunteers to assist with sick call coverage, to cover additional shifts, and aids areas of pharmacy in need of additional support.
- 4. Performs at a high level with minimal supervision. a. Independently solves problems, and/or provides solutions when problems arise. (i.e. dealing with drug shortages, sick call coverage, narcotic discrepancies, computer down-time) b. Assists with the review and revision of policies and procedures and/or medication order sets for Cerner system.
- 5. Clinical a. Thoroughly completes all patient monitoring profiles. b. Makes appropriate therapeutic recommendations in accordance with nationally published guidelines and the hospital formulary. c. Participates in pharmacy continuous quality improvement activities. d. Participates in pharmacy clinical programs and adheres to therapeutic guidelines, making appropriate recommendations for optimization of patient therapy. e. Participates in hospital-established programs for ADR and medication error reporting. f. Enforces adherence to hospital formulary, i.e., non-formulary requests filled out. Applies therapeutic interchange policies. g. Documents interventions in department-approved clinical documentation system.
- 6. Education a. Trains pharmacists-in-training, including newly hired pharmacists, and residents. b. Participates in the precepting and mentoring of pharmacy students and interns. c. Provides formal and informal drug education to pharmacy, medical staff, nursing and ancillary services (i.e, Lunch and Learn Topics, Pharmacy capsule submission, Formulary monograph submission)
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Req Specialized/technical training Pharm.D degree from an accredited School of Pharmacy
- Req 2 years Hospital experience or completion of a residency program in a hospital setting.
- Req Organization/time management skills.
- Req Excellent analytical, problem-solving, planning and evaluation skills.
- Req Demonstrates ability to effectively work with physicians, staff, and patients.
- Req Able to function independently and as a member of a team.
- Req Committed to excellence in patient care and customer service.
- Pref 3 years Oncology experience or Oncology residency.
- Req Registered Pharmacist (CA DCA) Current pharmacy licensure with California State Board of Pharmacy.
- Req Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
- Req Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association *Required only for Hospital setting (Not required for Off-Site Clinics)
The hourly rate range for this position is $64.00 – $105.60. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post