Please review the Important information for all USC job applicants page for more details regarding your rights and obligations as a job candidate.
From fine dining restaurants to residential dining, USC Hospitality serves over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, and staff, as well as our many visitors. Hospitality is one of the six core business units that comprise USC Auxiliary Services and one of the largest employers on campus. The team at USC Hospitality is led by innovative executive chefs and directors who strive every day to craft nourishing and wholesome alternatives for our hungry Trojan Family and our guests. We are driven to succeed by our commitment to uphold our six unifying values in Integrity, Excellence, Well-Being, Open Communication, Accountability, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
We are seeking to build a pool for future Food Service Assistant Manager positions throughout our Retail, Residential, Full-Service Dining, and Fast Food venues.
The Food Service Assistant Manager will be leading our team in the pursuit of continued excellence, and you will have a chance to make a difference in how this vision is achieved. You will oversee our fine dining operations, from employee management to event marketing. Our team is focused on creating a positive, customer-service oriented work environment for both guests and other team members. You will be responsible for furthering this passion and carrying on our USC pride!
- Place orders of approved products with university approved suppliers and schedule delivery of food, beverages, and supplies. Ensure that inventories are taken on a weekly basis so that goods are being ordered according to business needs. Ensure all logs completed.
- Monitor employee performance on a day-to-day basis. Administer coaching and written performance evaluations. Provide detailed work guidelines to ensure a clear understanding of expectations from direct reports. Measure and address performance and provide verbal or written feedback as necessary.
- Effectively communicate the necessary operating procedures and guidelines to all the employees under areas of responsibility that are necessary to achieve the operating and financial goals of the units and the Department.
- Facilitate daily pre-shift meetings to inform staff of any immediate changes in the operation and provide them with information on new promotions and special events. Facilitate monthly meetings with all the employees to inform them of changes, expectations, standards, training classes available, and employment opportunities throughout the Department.
- Assign cleaning duties. Upkeep equipment and request repairs when necessary.
- Review financial data on a daily basis and take active steps to control food, beverage, and labor costs. Oversee daily departmental sales figures. Balance cash to sales figures. Ensure staff hours are appropriate for business volume.
- Employee interviewing, hiring, training, coaching, and counseling. Schedule employees and direct reports to attend training classes. Facilitate and develop Unit specific training.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Associate’s Degree.
- Experience: 2 years.
- Supervisory or lead experience in fine dining restaurant.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable health and safety standards.
- Customer service experience.
What We Prefer:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3 years of experience.
- Ability to supervise students, temporary, and/or resource workers.
- Experience training and developing employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families. For more information please visit www.benefits.usc.edu.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
The annual base salary for this position is $64,480. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Education: Associate’s degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Supervisory or lead experience in food service industry.
Apply on this job post