Who We Are:
The University of California (USC) is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology, and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Community – the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work.
USC’s Office of Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) provides a safe and environmentally healthy workplace for students, employees, and the surrounding community. To support the academic research and administrative activities of the university by anticipating potential risks, evaluating safety procedures, and developing new safety procedures and programs.
Hazardous Waste Technician is responsible for collection of hazardous waste (biological, chemical, and radioactive) and universal waste at the point of generation and transport to the USC storage facilities on both campuses – UPC and HSC, including Catalina Campus. They will also be required to respond to hazardous material spills/releases.
- Collects, processes and disposes of hazardous wastes from the USC Campus locations. Loading, packaging, and segregating red bag/sharps, chemotherapy/pathology/ pharmaceutical wastes and medicines.
- Responds to emergencies.
- Assists with audits, sampling efforts, safety training and emergency exercises.
- Lab and equipment decommissioning and lab setups. Maintain supply inventory to support hazardous/regulated medical waste programs; as required by DOT packaging requirements. Assists in initiating appropriate corrective actions in consultation with the appropriate safety specialist.
- Maintains records and files on all program-related activities, as required.
- Project management – ability to monitor project progress and set deadlines and solve issues that arise.
1 year of experience
Great communication skills- written and oral
2 years of experience
40-hour HAZWOPER or 24-hour FRO
CDL H Endorsement
The hourly range for this position is $30.00 – $34.09. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
USC’s Commitment to You: We offer an excellent package of benefits and programs including, but not limited to:
Tuition assistance for you and your family
Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance options
403b retirement account with matching 5% contribution by USC
50% subsidy off Metro, LADOT, and Metrolink passes
Explore more on the USC Employee Gateway
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members. Please review the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Plan page for more details regarding your rights and obligations as a job candidate.
Minimum Education: Associate’s degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 1 year, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Health/Safety
Apply on this job post