The Keck School of Medicine (KSOM) Human Resources Department provides guidance and support for various HR staff functions including interpretation of USC policies and procedures, recruitment and onboarding, performance management, employee relations, staffing requirements, payroll support, leave benefits and other HR-related services.
Join Our Team
KSOM HR is actively seeking a full-time Human Resources Generalist. Responsibilities include support and guidance with recruitment, staffing, on-boarding, compensation, payroll, policy interpretation and other HR functions and processes. Support assigned KSOM departments with a variety of HR and payroll needs.
- Act as the HR Business Partner for assigned departments.
- Provide strategic support to staff and management with coordinating and supporting department-related Human Resources and payroll needs.
- Prepares, reviews and processes a variety of personnel and payroll documents and reports for staff and students. Determines nature of transaction and the paperwork and approval process required. Makes necessary computations and gathers and provides all pertinent data, including backup documentation as needed. Identifies exceptions for special handling. Responsible for the research, compilation, analysis and reconciliation of payroll data. Produces standard and ad-hoc reports.
- Provide recruitment and staffing support. Work directly with hiring managers and department administrators to determine recruitment needs. Compiles information and documentation to post and advertise positions. Staffing support includes processing hires, transfers and promotions, onboarding, I-9, IT setup, and payroll.
- Assists with basic to moderately complex employment issues regarding staff complaints, conflict management, attendance, compliance, hotline cases, exit interviews and represent KSOM at unemployment claim appeal hearings.
- Responds to general inquiries. Conveys information to employees when appropriate or refers them directly to specific administrative offices. Refers complex situations or issues to KSOM HR supervisor. Applies appropriate policy, local, state and federal labor law knowledge.
- Maintains confidential personnel files for the school, department or facility in accordance with established guidelines and policies. Sets up files for new employees. Ensures files of terminated employees are maintained. Ensures that employee and applicant records are legally and procedurally correct in regards to data required and record retention.
- Ensures paperwork and reports are complete, accurate and appropriate, processed in a timely manner, complies with payroll and personnel policies and procedures and in accordance with governmental and agency requirements. Follows-up to ensure incomplete paperwork or inappropriate requests are addressed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- BA/BS degree and three years of directly related HR generalist experience.
- Demonstrated success in a high-volume work setting.
- Proficient communication skills including writing skills and the ability to speak clearly and concisely.
- Proven ability to confidentially handle sensitive conversations and cultivate effective working relationships.
- Good understanding of state and federal employment legislation including FLSA, ADA, EEOC, FMLA and CFRA.
- Good technical skills and learning aptitude.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines.
- Good time management, organizational skills, and a bias for action.
- Function in a positive, friendly and helpful demeanor by phone and in person. Excellent customer service skills and work orientation.
- Team-oriented and collaborative work style.
- Experience with employee and labor relations
- Dealing with complex scenarios related to regulatory and contract requirements
- HR Generalist experience in an academic, research and/or clinical setting
Why KSOM HR?
Our team is dedicated to providing quality, innovative HR services and solutions. As a customer-driven resource for the dynamic and changing HR needs of the School, we support the business and operating goals by driving people management, resources, and a rewarding work life for all staff. We foster a work environment that is characterized by fair treatment for all, personal accountability, trust and mutual respect.
We embrace the University’s culture journey by acting with integrity in the pursuit of excellence and embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion. We promote well-being, engaging in open communication and are accountable for living our Trojan values.
KSOM Human Resources strongly values diversity, equity, inclusion and is committed to hiring excellent and diverse team members. All genders and members of all racial and ethnic groups are encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $34.00 – $40.00/hour
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Hybrid
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 3 years
Apply on this job post