The Senior Project Manager (Sr. PM) is responsible for the successful analysis, initiation, planning, execution, and closeout of programs and projects as assigned by the Director, PMO or their designee. The Sr. PM will oversee the IS PMO’s most complex projects, which will likely involve a diverse set of components, including healthcare processes, clinical applications & interfaces, business / administrative applications & interfaces, enabling / supporting technology and infrastructure (e.g., hardware, devices, telecom, storage solutions). The successful Sr. PM must be proficient in managing the complexities associated with large, enterprise-wide strategic initiatives, and be able to communicate effectively with executive-level personnel, verbally and in writing. The successful Sr. PM will exhibit strong project planning abilities – and have robust prior experience justifying and planning projects, to include defining and baselining project scopes (via charters, scope statements, work breakdown structures, statements of work), schedules, budgets and resource allocations. The successful Sr. PM will also exhibit strong project execution & closeout abilities and be comfortable assuming – and course correcting – in flight projects. The Sr. PM’s responsibilities will require the Sr. PM to indirectly supervise other employees, thereby making the ability to lead through influence vs. direct authority a critical skill for the Sr. PM to demonstrate. The role will also require direct oversight of contract / vendor labor in project situations where a component of the project work is outsourced to a third party.
- Ensures assigned projects are defined, managed, and communicated in a consistent, professional and effective manner. Includes but is not limited to: • Delivering on scope, on time, within budget, and to an agreed-upon quality level • Adhering to the PMO defined processes, methodologies • Maintaining up-to-date project documentation in the PMO departmental repository (currently Sharepoint) • Updating centralized / co-owned reports and dashboards (e.g., ITEC presentations) • Utilizing departmental templates as intended and instructed • Serving as the primary liaison for assigned projects • Fostering positive relationships with project team members and stakeholders
- Actively contributes to advancing the maturity and brand of the PMO by: • Proactively identifying areas for improvement in the IS PMO’s project management capability • Supporting implementation of improvement recommendations (may be in the form of policy, process, methodology, template, technical, relationship, communication improvements) • Being an active participant in internal meetings (e.g., meetings not associated with a particular project, 1:1 meetings with PMO Director) and trainings • Contributing to the recruitment and selection of new PMO team members (contract and employee)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree Degree in Engineering, Business, Information System, Information Technology, or related technical field.
- 5 years Project management experience leading information technology projects, including requesting / securing approval to start projects through project closeout.
- Experience with all phases of project management, with demonstrated success across a variety of project types (construction, research, infrastructure, clinical applications, business applications, products).
- Proficiency of both theoretical and practical aspects of project management including tools and techniques (e.g., project planning, risk/issue management, governance, cost/benefit analysis, project change controls)
- Ability to facilitate working sessions with large, cross-functional teams (business, clinical, technical)
- Exceptional and adaptive written and oral communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel from Executive level to frontline staff
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- 10 years Total post-collegiate relevant professional experience
- Big 4 Consulting experience.
- Experience managing healthcare-related projects and familiarity with healthcare provider industry.
- Experience developing business cases.
- Experience working in a centralized PMO environment.
- Performance improvement experience in the areas of process / workflow modeling and root cause analysis.
- Prior experience with any of the following applications: Kronos, Lawson, Cerner.
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
- Certification – Job Relevant Active Project Management Professional (PMP) certification (if not available upon hire, one must be obtained within one year of hire).
The annual base salary range for this position is $110,240.00 – $181,896.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post