The Laboratory Assistant is the department’s primary support system and is responsible for procuring blood samples from patients, for preserving the integrity of specimens and for proper transporting, processing and preparation of all samples. Support from Laboratory Assistants also includes clerical functions such as answering telephone inquiries from other departments of the facility, dissemination of laboratory reports and communicating with referral laboratories utilized by the department.
- Obtains blood sample specimens by venipuncture or capillary methods in response to requests for testing by clinicians, with appropriate consideration for the age of the patient.
- Receives and screens specimens with regard to acceptability as defined by established guidelines.
- Delivers of blood products to Surgery and for the delivery of surgical specimens to the appropriate sections of the Laboratory.
- Processes, distributes or packages all specimens received (except Anatomic Pathology samples).
- Responsible for handling all inquiries for lab results, specimen status and general information regarding the Department and it’s functions.
- Communicates and interacts effectively and professionally with patients, co-workers and guests of the institution, with appropriate consideration for the age of the patient.
- Adheres to established Hospital and Departmental policies and procedures.
- Carries out additional clinical and clerical duties to meet the needs of the Department.
- Maintains professional growth and development. Actively participates in Department’s Quality Improvement program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Req High school or equivalent
- Req Specialized/technical training Graduate from an accredited Phlebotomy Program
- Req 1 year Experience in Phlebotomy (preferably in an acute care facility setting).
- Req Demonstrate excellent customer service behavior.
- Req Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Req Organization/time management skills.
- Req Certified Phlebotomy Technician – CPT (CA DPH)
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $23.00 – $39.10. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post