The Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) is an individual with specific knowledge and technical skills to assist the Registered Nurse in providing care for a designated group of patients. The LVN utilizes the Nursing Process to provide therapeutic care to a specific population of patients, under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
As an integral part of the Ambulatory Care Services, the LVN will provide smooth outpatient flow resulting in optimum patient satisfaction and clinic operation. The Ambulatory Licensed Vocational/Practice Nurse utilizes the nursing process to provide therapeutic care to varied patient populations and their families. Escorts patients to exam rooms, obtains and appropriately records patient vital signs/medication list, monitors patient flow, assists physicians with minor clinical procedures, performs EKGs, prepares patient chart with pertinent medical information, administers medication, and prescription management as directed by physician. Schedules diagnostic tests and surgeries as ordered by the physician as needed. Performs various administrative duties, including answering phone patient calls, returning phone calls, receiving and sorting in-coming faxes, obtaining prior authorizations. Ensures patient’s right to privacy, safety, and confidentiality is maintained. Maintains a safe environment in accordance with standards, policies, and safety regulations. Ensures compliance with infection control policies. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Uses and practices basic assessment, participates in planning, executes interventions in accordance with the plan of care or treatment plan, and contributes to evaluation of individualized interventions related to the care plan or treatment plan.
- Provides direct patient care.
- Administers medications.
- Demonstrates professional communication skills for the purpose of patient care, education and multidisciplinary team collaboration.
- Schedules and receives patients.
- Ensures patient charts are prepared prior to appointment including x-rays and pertinent lab work, makes arrangements to obtain any special equipment needed. Sets up exam rooms, assists physician with exams as needed, monitors patient flow
- Performs basic administrative duties.
- Handles telephone calls and writes correspondences.
- Serves as a liaison between physicians and other individuals.
- Takes patient histories and vital signs.
- Implants an effective and efficient patient flow.
- Performs first aid and CPR if needed.
- Assists physicians with exams and treatments as permitted by license.
- Organize pharmacy refill request for physician approval.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting to accomplish duties in a timely manner.
- Triages patients in person and over the telephone.
- Records patient information in chart//EHR according to standards/policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent
- Specialized/technical training Graduate of an accredited Vocational Nursing Program
- Demonstrates ability to effectively work with physicians, staff, and patients.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word as well as Internet access and utilization.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service behavior.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive situations and confidential information
- Able to make decisions effectively and with appropriate stakeholder input.
- Must be highly flexible, enthusiastic, have a proactive approach, excellent communication skills, work efficiently under pressure and work efficiently in a team environment.
- Familiarity with word processing, Microsoft Outlook, GE Centricity Business, Cerner, and navigate the intranet.
- 2 years Experience as an LVN preferably in an ambulatory care environment
- LVN – Intravenous Therapy Certification (CA DCA)
- Licensed Vocational Nurse – LVN (CA DCA) Valid California Vocational Nursing license
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $25.00 – $39.69. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post