The Unit Secretary/Monitor Technician performs clerical, clinical, and communication functions on assigned nursing unit. She/he provides courteous reception on the nursing unit and arranges and coordinates activities for patient care.
- Clerical: Has a thorough understanding of and expertise in the use of computer systems. Prints 2130 census for charge RN, 2400 census for census log Checks accommodation codes and makes necessary changes for accuracy each shift and prior to 2130 Updates census log with admissions and discharges (time of occurrence) Completes A/D/T in computer system within 30 minutes Completes downtime procedures accurately Completes repair requests for engineering and biomed Maintains Outpatient stay log Maintains Orders forms Orders supplies weekly and PRN Maintains clean and organized work area Stocks printers and fax machines with sufficient amounts of paper
- Order Transcription: Appropriately transcribes all orders, per policy, completely and accurately in a timely fashion. Prioritizes stat orders versus routine orders Notifies RN of all stat orders immediately Scan orders to pharmacy Orders tests via computer entry Transcribes to Kardex Signs, dates, and times upon completion Flags telephone orders for signatures Notifies appropriate department of stat order as applicable
- Customer Service Utilizes courtesy, compassion, kindness and honesty while interacting with public, patients and all hospital personnel. Demonstrates above skills in all forms of communications, i.e., in person, via telephone, and in writing Answers phone/call lights courteously, promptly within 3 rings Identifies self by name and unit. Routes all calls/requests to appropriate personnel, identifies on phone reason for transfer and assures connection is made.
- Medical Records Maintenance Assists with the management of patient records, so that the chart is always in optimum condition. Assists other ancillary personnel in obtaining parts of charts as necessary. Review and assembles the admission chart forms for inpatient record within 20 minutes of admission. Adds appropriate numbers of forms at midnight and when necessary i.e. physician orders, progress notes according to guidelines. Files diagnostic reports behind the designated chart tab as results/reports are received after reviewed by RN. Files lab reports weekly Replaces chart dividers as needed Places discharge and thinned chart in HIM Basket for retrieval.
- Teamwork/Collaboration: Completes assignments as directed Demonstrates collaboration, congeniality, and problem-solving skills. Maintains an open line of communication between management and other staff while demonstrating a professional demeanor at all times. Attends 80% of unit secretary meetings or reads the minutes within 5 working days. Communicates and clarifies outstanding patient care orders/activities to the oncoming unit secretary. Shows initiative/ability to orient new unit secretaries Assists M.D.s and staff in obtaining computerized hospital and/or patient information. Maintains communication with Charge RN and staff about unit issues. Is involved with and keeps abreast of changes from hospital wide committees
- Monitoring Functions Monitors and interprets EKG rhythms consistently and correctly Monitors EEG pattern for signs of seizure activity Notifies RN/Charge Nurse promptly of EKG changes or concerns Never leaves the desk unattended while patients are being monitored Tracks and maintains all monitoring equipment i.e. telemetry boxes and applicable equipment Documents date and time RN notified on rhythm strip.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Req High school or equivalent
- Req Specialized/technical training Successful completion of Medical Terminology exam and basic EKG course.
- Req Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Req Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak, read and write English proficiently.
- Req Demonstrate excellent customer service behavior.
- Pref 1 year Experience as a Unit Secretary.
- Req Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $20.80 – $35.36. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post