The Network Engineer II is expected to independently plans, installs, integrates and validates network software and hardware solutions. Serves as a resource to less experienced team members on escalated issues of a routine nature. Acquires and applies broad knowledge of Keck Medicine of USC, its services and processes. Resolves issues and navigates obstacles to deliver work product. Delivers technical solutions for network infrastructure, including LAN, WAN and Wireless. Maintains and tests high availability (disaster recovery) solutions. Participates in the evaluation, development, implementation, integration and administration of internal and external business solutions. Provides insight to management on issues. Supports the mission, vision, values and strategic goals of Keck Medicine of USC.
• Analyzes, develops and proposes solutions for Service Requests, Trouble Reports, and technical issues occurring in IT systems.
• Analyzes system capacity and performance in both batch and on-line environments; creates and maintains data and process models; recommends and makes systems/architecture modifications based upon analysis.
• Participate in network installs, provision capabilities, and physical infrastructure for network operations.
• Implements and/or supervises the implementation of solutions; ensures or assists in addressing any network hardware and service performance issues that may be encountered.
• Recommends and implements solutions for IT system problems arising from network hardware and service constraints.
• Implements security hardware and configurations from the organization’s Information Security department.
• Provide off-hour on-call support for issues; apply expertise and independent judgment in order to rapidly restore service.
• Coordinates and communicates with other IT staff to resolve technical issues ensuring that sufficient information is communicated and that effective mode of communication is selected.
• Interacts and coordinates with clients and vendors to foster a satisfying customer service relationship; proactively identifies technical issues/problems that could negatively impact business operations; develops and proposes a variety of solutions and options; assists clients in selecting the most effective course of action.
• Documents the technical aspects of Keck Medicine of USC’s network environment.
• Trains and mentors new members of the team in the environment and the use of support software.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High school or equivalent
• Req High school or equivalent
• Req Bachelor’s degree Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Data Analysis/Statistics or related field.
• Combined work experience and education as equivalent
• Req 5 years Relevant business support and/or information technology support experience. * IF NO BACHELOR DEGREE: ◦ 9 years of relevant business support and/or information technology support experience if no Bachelor Science in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Data Analysis/Statistics or related field required.
• Req Working knowledge of designing, installing, maintaining and configuring network infrastructure and applications and service providers such as AT&T.
• Req Hands-on expertise with Cisco and/or Juniper hardware, analysis and monitoring tools such as SolarWinds, cable infrastructure, and WAN circuits.
• Req Must have a maturing level of analytical ability to find solutions to increasingly difficult technical or administrative problems, to determine economic feasibility or options available, and to assess time involved in system changes.
• Req Thorough documentation skills.
• Req Must be able to demonstrate experience with LAN/WAN hardware and technologies, network hardware facilities and experience with system design, capacity planning and capacity management.
• Req Must be able to communicate the impact and solutions of application/system problems in business language.
• Req Must have a professional approach in all situations.
• Req Ability to work any hours to support 24/7 operations.
• Req Must resolve problems entirely by either completing the work or gathering all of the resources needed for ultimate resolution and continuity of problem management
• Req Availability to travel between Keck Medicine of USC, USC, and other facilities.
• Pref Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Certificate
• Pref Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Certificate
• Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $46.00 – $76.07. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post