The University of Southern California’s (USC’s) Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking a Network Engineering Manager (Manager of Network Operations) with an exceptional commitment to service excellence to join our collaborative team.
As the Network Engineering Manager, you will be an integral leader of the Network Infrastructure team, collaborating with diverse and talented team members to help solve multidimensional information technology problems, improve customer experience, and generate value for our campus stakeholders across a broad base of departments and constituencies.
THE WORK YOU WILL DO:
The Network Engineering Manager designs and delivers best-in-class network solutions while leading day-to-day operations and support, implementations, and network upgrades. The Network Engineering Manager drives innovative solutions to support network planning, coordination, installation, maintenance, and repairs. They ensure reliable technology services (e.g., capacity planning, network management, performance) and that leadership/management standards and technology services align with those specified in network service level agreements.
As part of the infrastructure team, the Network Engineering Manager models and cultivates ITS culture, values, and behaviors. This role may provide technical and training assistance to other ITS teams. As a member of ITS, the Network Engineering Manager demonstrates ITS values as part of our service excellence.
The Manager of Network Operations will:
- Implements network maintenance, administration, releases, upgrades, and changes into the environment, working closely with data and voice engineering teams and leadership to minimize service disruptions. Develops, maintains, supports, and optimizes key functional areas supporting network infrastructure.
- Oversees network operations team productivity and performance using various tools and reporting methods, reviewing key metrics and trends. Works closely with senior leadership to identify, implement, and support cost-effective, leading solutions for field services. Builds and maintains relationships with relevant stakeholders to ensure consistent, reliable service delivery.
- Ensures network operations’ availability, performance, and operational integrity by managing and supporting network assets across campuses. Collaborates with relevant stakeholders in both administrative and academic units, providing direct technical support and consultations for incident, problem, and change management processes for all wired, wireless, and network service issues.
- Oversees developing, implementing, and maintaining department policies, procedures, and training plans. Reviews documentation and procedures (e.g., user guides) and supports the implementation of technical and network architecture improvements and optimizations where needed.
- Manages staff development, helping team members set and achieve career growth goals. Staying current with emerging technology making recommendations to facilitate innovation. Promotes an environment that fosters inclusive relationships and creates unbiased opportunities for contributions through ideas, words, and actions that uphold the USC Code of Ethics principles. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
Candidates for the position of Manager of Network Operations position must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, computer information systems, etc., or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- A minimum of Six (6) years of experience in information technology or network engineering.
- A minimum of Three (3) years of experience supporting a large campus network.
- Extensive background in IT infrastructures (e.g., LAN/WAN, data centers, disaster recovery facilities).
- Experience on IT help desks (e.g., internal reporting, database management).
- Working knowledge of OSI layer 1-3 protocols. Experience with state/federal data regulations and requirements (e.g., FERPA, HIPAA).
- Ability to manage security protocols and implementations (e.g., IPSec, NAT, ACLs).
- Working knowledge of security technology platforms (e.g., Fortinet, Palo Alto, Cisco).
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, organizational, and critical thinking skills.
- Experience with service delivery governance processes and development.
- Exemplary interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to interpret and apply pertinent policies, procedures, regulations, and requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and work collaboratively in team environments.
Ideal candidates for the position of Manager of Network Operations position meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer information systems, information technology, or relevant field.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in information technology or network engineering.
- A minimum of Five (5) years of experience supporting large, complex campus networks.
- Three (3) years’ experience in leadership/management roles.
- Demonstrated experience anticipating customer needs.
- Ability to forecast emerging/future technology trends and articulate strategies motivating others to innovate.
- Proven track record of establishing strong relationships and delivering consumer-focused solutions in large IT enterprises.
- Advanced judgment, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Fluent in one or more languages besides English (e.g., Spanish, Korean, American Sign Language).
The ITS vision aligns strategy, business, and services, affirms ITS cultural values, empowers cross-functional teamwork, embraces world-class best practices, and promotes innovation, excellence, agility, and efficiency. To achieve this vision, ITS is committed to providing a modern technology infrastructure that is resilient and delivers the performance necessary to meet the demands of a growing customer base, training in the latest technologies for its highly productive and motivated workforce, outstanding customer experience, and technology services that are aligned with the university’s mission to provide exceptional learning opportunities for students. ITS is creating a workplace where employees can develop cutting-edge skills, take pride in the services they provide, and have access to the roles and career paths that align with their abilities and potential. We are looking for top talent to join us on our journey.
USC’s ITS organization represents a diverse and talented team committed to supporting a collaborative culture and delivering secure and innovative IT services core to the mission of USC. ITS values accountability, excellence, and commitment to exceptional customer experience. ITS strives for a supportive and inclusive culture that encourages employees to do their best work every day and where individuals are recognized and celebrated for their contributions.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology, and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles and various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alums who make USC a great workplace—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including various well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.
Join the USC ITS team and work as a trusted partner in shaping an environment of innovation and excellence.
The annual base salary range for this position is $160,000 – $180,000. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
The candidate for the position of Network Engineering Manager must meet the following qualifications:
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Six years’ experience in network operations, information technology, higher education and/or other relevant fields.
Three years’ experience supporting large campus network environments.
Extensive background in IT infrastructures (e.g., LAN/WAN, data centers,
disaster recovery facilities).
Experience on IT help desks (e.g., internal reporting, database management).
Working knowledge of OSI layer 1-3 protocols.
Experience with state/federal data regulations and requirements (e.g., FERPA, HIPAA).
Ability to manage security protocols and implementations (e.g., IPSec, NAT, ACLs).
Working knowledge of security technology platforms (e.g., Fortinet, Palo Alto, Cisco).
Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, organizational, and critical thinking skills.
Experience with service delivery governance processes and development. Exemplary interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
Proven ability to interpret and apply pertinent policies, procedures, regulations, and requirements.
Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
Proven ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities and
work collaboratively in team environments.
Apply on this job post