Serves as primary point of contact for access to USC academic medical centers and USC Health Sciences Campus. Answers, screens and directs incoming and outgoing telephone calls, electronic messages and other web-based communications using a call management system. Responds to basic inquires and refers other inquires to appropriate medical personnel. Contacts and distributes messages to medical personnel using a variety of electronic methods including text, voice and email systems. The Patient Access Liaison II will also be responsible to schedule and confirm initial and follow-up medical appointments, registers patients, including verifying insurance coverage to advise patient of any estimated financial responsibility. The Patient Access Liaison II will also perform data entry, ensure data integrity, and reconcile as needed.
- 1. Demonstrates competency in the quality of work and knowledge of a Patient Access Representative.
- 2. Strives for first call resolution and demonstrates high level of customer service.
- 3. Maintains warm, courteous and professional behavior in accordance with the USC/Keck customer service standards while interacting with contacts, both internal and external.
- 4. Maintains consistent accuracy in all tasks associated with job role and tasks and responsibilities daily.
- 5. Exhibits collegial and professional demeanor in all interactions.
- 6. Contributes effectively as a productive team member to the Patient Access Center and USC/Keck.
- 7. Follows USC/Keck Communications standard and policy.
- 8. Accepts alternate assignments to any area within the organization as assigned by Management.
- 9. Expected to work from home as/when organizationally deployed, following the departmentally established guidelines and expectations for remote work.
- 10. Other duties as assigned.
- 11. May page physicians as dictated by internal procedures, correctly, professionally and in a timely manner.
- 12. May perform follow up checks with all open pages while on shift and before leaving shift
- 13. Demonstrates proficiency in ensuring that all information housed within the Call Management system and Qgenda is sent for updates to management and readily accessed when needed.
- 14. Answers, screens and directs incoming and outgoing telephone calls, electronic messages, omnichannel contacts and other web-based communications using the organizational communications management system. Transfers telephone calls to the appropriate department or medical personnel.
- 15. Processes messages following departmental procedure and ensuring compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- 16. Utilizes organizationally defined systems to perform patient communication.
- 16. Performs scheduling functions, to include scheduling, rescheduling cancelations and confirmations of appointments using organizational scheduling system.
- 17. Creates and maintains medical data and reconciles to patient appointment records.
- 18. Coordinates care with patient coordinators, nurses and physicians to secure appointments for patients and referring physicians.
- 19. Performs data entry and maintains data bases for bumps and cancellations.
- 20. Verifies insurance coverage using organizationally defined process. May determine if patient’s insurance is contracted with USC and advise patient of any estimated financial responsibility.
- 21. Using USC/Keck defined guidelines, and at their discretion, carries out Service Recovery activity, and/or escalate to any Level 3/Lead or Supervisor within the Patient Access Center.
- High school or equivalent
- 2 years Minimum two (2) years of experience working in a call center, customer service and/or healthcare department/ environment (or combination of that equals two or more years)
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Associate degree or bachelor’s degree in healthcare, business or operations field strongly preferred.
- Specialized/technical training Vocational certificates in healthcare preferred: appoint scheduling, registration, insurance verification, medical assistant
- Knowledge of HIPPA compliance and various health insurance types preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of high-level computer literacy with practice management scheduling systems preferred.
- Bilingual: Spanish, Chinese and other languages preferred.
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $23.00 – $39.10. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post