The Patient Access Representative assists patients with the check-in/arrival. Has in depth knowledge in all processes of the reception front desk and arrival process. Works with physicians on coordinating new patients for their individual schedules, assist new patients in collecting all medical records and history. He/She will schedule new patients with physician who specializes in care type and prepares new patient chart for physician review. Responsible for providing insurance information to Financial Counselor Representative for verification.
- Generate a patient MRN (Medical Record Number)and is adept at utilizing the MRN checker.
- Patient identifier is “Name and date of birth” to assure you are registering the correct patient.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain confidentiality of patient information.
- Determine if the patients insurance is contracted with USC.
- Edit insurance information as appropriate.
- Resolve all GE Centricity Alerts.
- Assure all documents are obtained signed and scanned or available in the EMR a. Insurance Card b. Identification Card c. Condition of Service – hospital document d. Financial Responsibility- Physician document e. Notice of Privacy Practices-
- Obtain patient demographics confirm all are current and correct in both hospital and physician systems.
- Utilize appropriate a. Financial Class b. Plan Id’s c. Service Code d. Patient type
- Ability to verify and comprehend insurance benefits via: a. Contacting insurance companies directly b. Electronic verification system (Ecommerce or Passport or direct insurance websites) c. Ensure effective dates and co-pays are documented in registration systems
- In Physician System Utilize appropriate a. FCS b. Alternate Insurance
- Assuring authorizations are in place as specified by patients carrier
- Customer service skills: a. Phone etiquette b. Scripting as provided by supervisor/management c. Escort patients as needed d. Professional conduct when speaking to patients and co-workers and Physicians
- Ability to request patient financial liabilities (Co-pay outstanding balances)
- Follow and adhere dress code attendance policy’s provided by Human Resources
- Assist Supervisor as needed with special projects and other duties as assigned a. Scheduling b. Break and or Lunch coverage c. Check out d. Any other duties assigned by your supervisor
- Balances cash drawer to Batch.
- Closes out batches.
- Prepare bank deposit for Physician practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Req High school or equivalent Or equivalent evidence in file required.
- Req 1 year One year of ambulatory clinic experience or in a related field.
- Req Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak, read and write English proficiently.
- Req Must be comfortable with computers and medical terminology.
- Req In depth knowledge of Cerner, most insurance types, and basic computer programs.
- Req Demonstrate excellent customer service behavior.
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $18.20 – $30.97. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post