The Patient Access Representative assists patients with the check-in/arrival. Has in depth knowledge in all processes of the reception front desk and arrival process. Works with physicians on coordinating new patients for their individual schedules, assist new patients in collecting all medical records and history. He/She will schedule new patients with physician who specializes in care type and prepares new patient chart for physician review. Responsible for providing insurance information to Financial Counselor Representative for verification.
The Patient Access Representative must have an in depth knowledge in all the functions of providing excellent customer service. Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak, read and write English proficiently. Must be comfortable with computers and the ability to multi-task
- Generate a patient MRN (Medical Record Number) and is adept at utilizing the MRN checker.
- Identifies patient per policy using two patient identifiers, “name and date of birth” to assure registration of the correct patient
- Demonstrates ability to maintain confidentiality of patient information
- Accurately determines if the patients insurance is contracted with USC
- Edits/updates insurance information as appropriate
- Resolve all GE Centricity Alerts
- Consistently ensures all documents are obtained, signed, and scanned: a. Insurance Card b. Identification Card c. Condition of Service – hospital document d. Financial Responsibility- Physician document e. Notice of Privacy Practices
- Consistently obtains/verifies/updates patient demographic information; confirms all are current and correct in both hospital and physician systems
- Consistently and accurately utilizes appropriate information in health record system(s): a. Financial Class b. Plan Id’s c. Hospital Service Code
- Patient type
- Consistently and accurately verifies insurance benefits via: a. Contacting insurance companies directly b. Electronic verification system (Ecommerce or Passport or direct insurance websites) Ensure effective dates and co-pays are documented in registration systems
- Accurately utilizes appropriate information in the Physician System: a. FCS Alternate Insurance
- Assures authorizations are always, when appropriate, requested for Physician and Hospital Services
- Consistently manages authorizations process and ensures documentation in GE Centricity, Hospital Billing/ADT system, and any other designated record keeping systems
- Requests patient financial liabilities (Co-pay outstanding balances in GE) when appropriate
- Completes duties applicable to financial management of clinic including, but not limited to: 1. Balances cash drawer to GECB Batch 2. Closes out batches GECB Prepares bank deposit for Physician practice
- Releases patient information to requesting parties following established confidentiality procedures. Answers patient inquiries for prescription refills.
- Actively coordinates, in collaboration and partnership with RN Navigator/Care Coordinator, patient health information from internal and external providers. Ensures that all patient health information is accurate in the electronic medical record, as directed (includes scanning of PHI into EHR)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Req High school or equivalent Or equivalent evidence in file required.
- Req 0 – 6 months At least three (3) months experience in an office or ambulatory clinic setting required OR
- Req 1 year OR One year of hospital experience or in a related field.
- Pref Knowledgeable in medical terminology and/or medical assistant certification strongly preferred.
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $19.00 – $29.77. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post