The Phlebotomy Supervisor oversees and supervises the work of subordinate personnel in performing, routing, and specialized blood drawing techniques from patients and specimen processing/handling for laboratory procedures used in diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Supervise the work of subordinate personnel in performing, routing, and specialized blood drawing techniques from patients and specimen processing/handling for laboratory procedures used in diagnosis of treatment of disease
- Monitor blood drawing and specimen processing/handling procedures
- Assure compliance with department policies and procedures for quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control
- Comply with requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies.
- Evaluate collection equipment, techniques, and workflow patterns and prepare reports outlining appropriate recommendations and conclusions.
- Perform various personnel actions including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, transfers, and work/vacation schedules.
- Monitors compliance of employees demonstrating initial and annual competencies.
- Oversees the operation and performance, behavior, and activities of the phlebotomy and processing staff and laboratory coordinator.
- Monitors and assesses results and accomplishments of the performance expectations as established by each job description and quality indicators for the Clinical Laboratory.
- Responsible for the procurement of blood and other laboratory specimens from Inpatients and Outpatients.
- Adheres to established policies, procedures and requirements of USC University Hospital and Clinical Laboratory Department.
- Obtains blood sample specimens by venipuncture or capillary methods in response to request for testing by clinicians, with appropriate consideration for the age of the patient.
- Receives and screens specimens with regard to acceptability as defined by established guidelines.
- Processes, distributes, or packages all specimens received (except for Blood Bank and Anatomic Pathology samples).
- Handles all inquiries for lab results, specimen status and general information regarding the Clinical Laboratory and it’s functions
- Communicates and interacts effectively and professionally with Patients, co-workers and guests of the institution, with appropriate consideration for the age of the patient.
- Carries out additional clinical and clerical duties to meet the needs of the Clinical Laboratory.
- Maintains professional growth and development. Actively participates in the Clinical Laboratory Performance Improvement Program.
- Provides for orientation, training, and continuing education of staff.
- Maintains an English speaking environment in all work areas.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by the Information System Manager and/or Administrative Laboratory Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent
- Specialized/technical training Graduate from an accredited Phlebotomy Program.
- 5 years Experience in Phlebotomy.
- Demonstrates ability to utilize effective, appropriate and diplomatic oral and written communication skills.
- Committed to excellence in patient care and customer service.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently with minimal direction and supervision.
- Able to function independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Leading/ guidance skills
- 1 year Recommended phlebotomy lead/supervisory experience in an acute care setting.
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician – CPT (CA DPH)
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The annual base salary range for this position is $60,320.00 – $94,020.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post