The Principal Strategic Planning and Business Development Analyst will report directly to the Director of Strategic Planning and Business Development and will work as part of a cross-functional team (including Planning/Business Intelligence and Strategic Business Development) to assist in all strategic planning support efforts including the development of service line and program strategic plans, including development and expansion of enterprise’s regional strategy and ambulatory expansion. Principal analyst efforts will include dynamic, multi-year projections and analyses based on an understanding of educational trends, new research directions, and fiscal limitations. The incumbent will work at an advanced level to assist on development of short- and long-term strategies including developing narratives and communications related to key strategic initiatives; strategy engagements including collaborate, SWOT-type interview engagements and related analyses. Efforts include reviewing and analyzing complex market and internal data including the use and support of key data tools – Crimson Market Advantage, Sg2 and Qlik OSHPD applications. Additionally, the incumbent will support the evaluation of potential opportunities in acquisitions, joint ventures, and strategic alliances with clinical and research partners including: Work with business units to prioritize strategic objectives and evaluate partnership and acquisition opportunities against identified strategies; research and analyze new business opportunities and implementation of mergers and acquisitions strategy. The Principal Analyst compiles and analyzes data obtained from numerous information systems and employs the judgment necessary to determine the accuracy and applicability of the conclusions. The Principal Analyst exercises independence and judgment in the management of their time and workload; their work product is used directly by executive leadership to inform system-wide major capital projects and investments.
- Assist in the development and completion of service line planning engagements; leads select service line planning engagements. Consults and collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to evaluate strategic alignment, stakeholder engagement, and value proposition. Includes producing analyses based on SWOT interviews and analysis to identify potential risks and/or opportunities associated with new ventures; produce & circulate white papers of trends in technology, legislation, and payment which may impact the management and/or future development of existing and/or new programs, services and general hospital operations.
- Responsible for managing and leading key analytical functions pertinent to Keck’s regional network strategy. Provides advice on hospital acquisitions, partnerships, and satellite expansion ventures. Provide market expertise using GIS applications to define local service areas, profile competitor territories, and conduct geographic / demographic analysis. Collaborates cross-functionally with Finance, Decision Support, Medical Group, Business Development, and Marketing to assist with a full analysis of potential growth effort.
- Analyze internal performance and external market conditions (market share, competitor growth strategies, payer mix, demographic trends). Forecast growth, provide scenario planning, and project potential growth impact to institution. Liaise with key service line stakeholders to advise on service line growth opportunities. Learns and analyzes health care industry dynamics and the competitive landscape.
- Working in support of broader strategy efforts, lead physician and hospital focused analyses using Crimson Market Advantage. Responsibilities include database management support for the product, designing / introducing financial valuation & market activity analyses for referral network strategy, and physician profile and medical group analytics. Provide novel reports including include physician loyalty / facility alignment, network activity analysis, and referral pattern analysis.
- Supports strategic planning key needs by coordinating with to Keck’s internal business intelligence team to develop and promote California OSHPD inpatient market dashboard (and others) across system. Provides ad hoc reporting and statistical analyses, as requested. Maintains currency with data analysis techniques, standards and related technologies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Req Bachelor’s degree Degree in a Business or Health Care related field such as Accounting, Business, or Healthcare Administration/Public Health, or from a field that promotes research, critical thinking, and analysis, such as History, Psychology, or similar liberal arts areas.
- Req 3 years 3 to 5 years’ business and/or data analyst experience.
- Req Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Req Proficient with Microsoft Office suite & web browser applications
- Req Team player with history of collaboration, who has the ability to work independently
- Req Working understanding of databases, spreadsheets, data visualization
- Req Knowledge of business statistics and data analyses techniques
- Req Ability communicate clearly and effectively. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Req Ability to manage and analyze data
- Req Willingness to ask questions if direction is unclear
- Req Solid organizational skills with a natural ability to collaborate.
- Req Takes initiative, identifying what needs to be done and appropriately handles matters.
- Pref Master’s degree Degree in a related field.
- Pref Experience in a health care environment.
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The annual base salary range for this position is $95,680.00 – $158,230.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post