The Department of Family Medicine of the Keck School of Medicine of USC provides care for every member of the family, across generations and over lifetimes. We aim to enhance the quality of life for underserved and vulnerable patients, while educating future generations of highly skilled, compassionate primary care specialists. Our goal is to combine education, patient advocacy, and evidence-based research to advance family medicine and geriatrics.
Our Department is seeking a Registered Nurse to work on a multi-disciplinary team to provide transitional primary care to the unsheltered homeless individuals living within the city of Los Angeles. The ideal candidate must have a commitment to providing high-quality care for complex patients, dedicated to working and developing a collaborative team model of care, and experience working with both physical and behavioral health diagnoses.
Street Medicine Registered Nurse’s duties include but not limited to:
- Provides outreach, information and referral, care coordination, and case management services as appropriate for Street Medicine
- Conducts follow-ups with patients via phone calls, encampment visits, and visits to other settings where patients can be found.
- Develops individualized educational plans focused on self-management and determines content and delivery method
- Performs initial and continued assessment of client health status including but not limited to wound care, immunization, specimens collection, physical examinations, medication administration, and TB screenings based on established policies and protocols.
- Assess patients for a range of health care needs and implements plans of care for both urgent and primary care within the scope of a Registered Nurse
- Uses multiple electronic platforms to gather patient information; documents appropriately and maintains medical records
- Provides client care in a manner that is both non-discriminatory and non-judgmental
- Works cooperatively with other clinical personnel and exhibits excellent working relations with patients, visitors, and staff, effectively communicating Street Medicine’s mission
- Act as a patient advocate and liaison between the patient and community agencies (i.e., Housing for Health, Department Human Services, hospitals, etc.) and ensures that patient needs are met with rights maintained; consults and collaborates with community providers to ensure continuity of care.
- Ability to schedule patient appointments and encounter patients using the EMR Appointment Scheduling/Encounter Registration Programs.
- Preferred experience: Working at least (1) year with the homeless population
- Preferred Experience: at least (3) years as a Registered Nurse
- Preferred Field of Expertise: current BCLS certification, and clinical experience in a directly related field. Demonstrated knowledge of utilization management, discharge planning, transfer coordination, Nurse Practice ACT, JCAHO and other federal/state/local regulations.
Please include resume and cover letter with application.
The hourly rate range for this position is $45.00 – $51.75. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Current/valid California State RN license
Related Undergraduate Study
Preferred Field of Expertise:
Clinical experience in hospital or ambulatory care or college health center.
Apply on this job post