As an integral part of the interdisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process to provide therapeutic care to patients. The Registered Nurse is accountable for the coordination of patient care and education to the patient and family in accordance with the standards, policies, and practices in a compassionate, supportive, and therapeutic environment.
As an integral part of the Imaging Services Team, the Radiology Nurse provides support for the Radiologist in the performance of vascular and interventional procedures.
- Assists physician with invasive procedures, medicating and caring for the patient.
- Responsible for patient care coordination of all interventional patients in the Imaging department. This coordination is achieved by interfacing with other hospital departments such as Admitting, Outpatient Surgery, Anesthesia, Neurophysiology, and Surgery.
- Procedures are planned and executed considering physiologic and development age. Patients served range from Adolescent, Adult and Geriatric.
- Utilizes scientific base knowledge of physiological, psychological, social, developmental and spiritual aspects of nursing care to conduct patient assessment.
- Documents post-procedure transfer of patient to another unit and reports directly to RN receiving the patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of contrast reactions.
- Maintains emergency drugs, equipment and supplies.
- Provides ongoing one-to-one nursing care (including cardiac monitoring when appropriate) when indicated during special invasive procedures in Radiology.
- Assesses learning needs and provides pre-, intra-and post-procedure information to patients/significant others bases on these needs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Division of Patient Care Services and Department of Radiology standards and policies and procedures.
- Maintains a professional environment for patients, staff, and visitors.
- Participates in developing methods conducive to efficient and effective patient care delivery.
- Promotes and maintains open channels of communication between all team members and customers.
- Applies technological expertise and professional knowledge to problem solving and management.
- Identifies with and protects patient rights.
- Provides care appropriate to the age of the patient (adolescent, adult, geriatric); and demonstrates knowledge of human growth and development.
- Organizes, plans and directs activities relating to patients and procedures for their designated area.
- Supports continuous and ongoing customer satisfaction through the hospital wide service excellence standards.
- Completes initial and annual skills validations.
- Functions as a patient advocate.
- Assesses a patient’s knowledge base/understanding of their diagnostic and/or interventional procedure.
- Plans, with the patient, the course of their testing/treatment in coordination with physician.
- Assists with the performance of diagnostic, interventional procedures in the Interventional Radiology Department..
- Provides for continuous evaluation of patient care through the nursing process and patient satisfaction evaluation form.
- Educates patient/patient’s family about procedure and treatment according to each patient’s individual needs and documents results.
- Documents accurately, on chart, procedures performed and patient’s tolerance.
- Provides for own professional growth regarding trends in clinical nursing, equipment and procedures through formal and informal continuing education.
- Orients and instructs other unit personnel.
- Demonstrates ability to positively influence other’s behavior by serving as a role model.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree Nursing Degree in Nursing (BSN) *Grandfathered from BSN if hired prior to 12/2019
- 2 years Two years experience in a special procedures lab setting immediately prior to application (preferably with experience in interventional neuro-radiology and interventional vascular procedures. *May have Two years experience in Surgical Intensive Care setting immediately prior to application, with experience in caring for patients receiving treatment from the Special Procedures Lab setting and/or Neurosurgical and Vascular Surgical procedures.
- Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak, read and write English proficiently.
- Knowledge of medical procedures and conditions and ability to understand, follow and successfully perform duties, including whole blood collection, and apheresis procedures, in accordance with administrative and clinical policies, regulations and procedures.
- Committed to excellence in patient care and customer service.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently with minimal direction and supervision.
- Registered Nurse – RN (CA Board of Registered Nursing)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
The hourly rate range for this position is $41.00 – $88.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post