As an integral part of the interdisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process to provide therapeutic care to patients.
As an integral part of the multidisciplinary team of the Pasadena Clinic, the Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process to provide therapeutic care to patients and their families in the outpatient setting with an emphasis on administering chemotherapy, biotherapy, blood products. The RN is also responsible to manage those patients who require acute care either prior to or instead of admitting the patient. The clinic nurse escorts patients to exam rooms, obtains and appropriately records patient vital signs/medication list, monitors patient flow, assists physicians with minor clinical procedures, performs EKGs, prepares patient charts with pertinent medical information, administers medication as directed by physician. Schedules diagnostic tests ordered by the physician as needed. Performs various administrative duties, including answering and returning patient calls, receiving and sorting in-coming faxes, obtaining prior authorizations. Ensures patient’s right to privacy, safety, and confidentiality is maintained. Maintains a safe environment in accordance with standards, policies, and safety regulations. Ensures compliance with infection control policies. Other duties as assigned.
- Follows policies and procedures: demonstrates ability to access online manuals and references
- Transfers learned scientific knowledge into practical application in applying the nursing process in assessment, interventions, communication and education of the patient and significant others.
- ASSESSMENT Appropriately completes nursing assessment and screening upon patient arrival to receive therapy
- DIAGNOSIS Interprets assessment information and formulates nursing diagnosis
- PLAN Maintains problem list, medication list and allergies list
- INTERVENTION Administers medications as ordered safely and efficiently utilizing appropriate precautions as necessary Administers chemotherapy and biotherapy by following correct procedure by policy Delegates tasks based on others’ scope of practice and competency Acts as patient advocate as seen by intervening for effective management of side effects
- DOCUMENTATION Documentation is complete and correct on all forms Assessment and screening at each appointment including pain scale and review of possible side effects Consents signed for all invasive procedures and the administration of blood products Ensures medication is double checked and documented fully and accurately
- EDUCATION Provides patient and family education as needed based on treatment plan or change in condition
- EQUIPMENT Maintains B/P machine Maintains IV infusion pumps Monitors volume of equipment alarms Correctly identifies and notifies appropriate department about defective equipment
- COMMUNICATION Communicates effectively with all members of the healthcare team including the patient and family by: DH to inpatient area or department report for urgent patient care situations Appropriate patient/family interactions Effectively triaging phone calls Utilizing e-mail system SBAR
- ORGANIZATION Manages time effectively. Able to organize and prioritize responsibilities Takes meal breaks without incurring overtime
- OBSERVES REGULATORY AGENCY REQUIREMENTS: National Patient Safety Goals Uses two patient identifiers (Full name and date of birth) Does not use unapproved abbreviations Uses procedural time out for invasive procedures Uses appropriate communication between providers Completes medication reconciliation Maintains audible alarms Hazardous waste management Biohazard Medication Sharps Chemotherapy HIPPA OSHA requirements (ie. No food or drink in clinical areas) JCAHO (continuous survey readiness) Critical values are written, read back and shared with appropriate provider Dictated orders are written down, read back for validation, signed, timed, dated and diagnosis included Maintains a safe work environment for self and others
- QUALITY MEASURES Identifies and participates in data collection and process improvements
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT Participates in professional hospital/nursing activities Relief charge nurse Nursing committees/councils Educational workshops Membership in ONS Assist in the development or updating of patient education materials
- Accepts and completes additional duties as assigned Bonus Points Professional certification
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Req Bachelor’s degree Nursing Degree in Nursing (BSN) *Grandfathered from BSN if hired prior to 12/2019
- Req 2 years 2 years’ oncology experience in an ambulatory care setting
- Req Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak, read and write English proficiently.
- Req Knowledge of medical procedures and conditions and ability to understand, follow and successfully perform duties, including whole blood collection, and apheresis procedures, in accordance with administrative and clinical policies, regulations and procedures.
- Req Chemotherapy competent
- Pref Experience in two or more of the following areas oncology, cardiology, vascular, or cardiothoracic is preferred.
- Pref Specialty Certification Specialty certification in oncology is preferred
- Pref ONS Chemotherapy & Biotherapy ONS Chemotherapy and Biotherapy certification preferred
- Req Registered Nurse – RN (CA Board of Registered Nursing)
- Req Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $46.00 – $76.07. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post