NOTE: To be considered, please provide a Cover Letter, detailing why you are interested in this role, as well as 2-3 personal writing samples or Portfolio URL that best exhibit your writing style and skills.
About the job
USC’s Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of the university’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced artificial intelligence, information processing, computing, and communications technologies. ISI’s 440+ faculty, professional staff and graduate students carry out extraordinary information sciences research at three distinct locations – Marina Del Rey, CA; Arlington, VA; and Waltham, MA.
The position reports to ISI’s Public Communications Manager.
*This position is a hybrid full-time role based in Marina Del Rey, CA, with occasional travel to other USC locations within the Los Angeles area*
- Producing the content of ISI’s annual report, based on the research done at ISI. This will include compelling research summaries meant for a variety of audiences.
- Identifying newsworthy research papers and working in collaboration with the News writer to publicize them.
- Updating the annual report content using InDesign.
- Compiling and condensing technical research publications into easily digestible formats, such as projects’ one sheet overviews.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with researchers to stay up to date on the research performed at ISI.
- Producing ISI’s internal newsletter, collecting information and sending the newsletter through Mailchimp.
- Maintaining and increasing ISI’s annual report audience mailing list.
- Performing other related duties as assigned. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with an excellent command of the English language.
- Expertise with AP style guidelines and grammar.
- Possessing solid news judgment and ethical decision-making skills.
- Deep curiosity and a knack for turning complicated concepts into good stories.
- Demonstrated ability to blend technical knowledge and expertise with excellent verbal/writing skills and the ability to communicate complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively and complete assignments promptly amid conflicting demands, multiple deadlines, competing requirements, and changing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain professional, effective working relationships with academic leaders, university administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
- Skilled at working as part of a team and collaborating with other individuals on a variety of levels.
- Ability to both take direction and work independently, establishing priorities, and following through on assignments.
- 3-5 years of experience as a writer in tech and/or sciences.
- Experience with WordPress and content management systems is a plus.
- Experience with newsletter software such as Mailchimp is a plus.
Required documents — Do not submit your application without these documents:
- Resume and cover letter (may be uploaded as one file).
- Portfolio of articles written on science and tech topics.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply as soon as possible if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned USC medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events
The hourly rate range for this position is $32.65 – $37.17. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 1 year
Minimum Field of Expertise: Experience with writing, editing, proofreading, and the preparation of materials for publication. Working knowledge of desktop publishing, word processing, graphics, design, and printing.
Apply on this job post