Under general supervision of the Sterile Processing Supervisor or Sterile Processing Educator, the Sterile Processing Technician (SPT) serve with basic knowledge of Sterile Processing techniques/skills and is responsible for decontaminating, operationally checking, assembling, sterilizing, and distributing reusable surgical/clinical instrumentation and implants throughout the organization. Operate Steam (autoclave) and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) sterilizers, sonic equipment, automated washers and heat sealers. Store, date, rotate and distribute reusable surgical/clinical instrumentation. All in accordance with department and manufacturer IFU guidelines. Upon completing one year of experience, incumbent will be elevated to Sterile Processing Tech II
- Assemble and package surgical/clinic procedure instrument sets following protocols established by electronic count sheets and manufacturer IFU. Operationally check instrumentation for functionality and cleanliness.
- Disassemble instruments/equipment, remove gross contamination, manually wash instruments, decontaminate and load automated washers according to manufacturer’s instructions for use (IFU).
- Operate and maintain sterilization and disinfection equipment according to established protocols and professional standards. Maintain sterilization documentation related to items processed, quality assurance, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Dispense sterile instrumentation to appropriate locations in the Sterile Storage and OR. Maintain sterile inventory through par level maintenance, stock rotation, and quality assurance. Proper distribution of sterile clinic instrumentation.
- Maintain timely and efficient process flows through communication with outside departments and sterile processing technicians in other assignments. Assist other Sterile Processing Technicians in the duties listed above.
- Prepares loads, operates equipment involved in sterilization processes.
- Obtain knowledge of documentation and logging of information and use of the Censitrac tracking system
- Prepares OR case carts and places any missing items on the OR shortage list. Inspects packages for indications of proper sterilization.
- Must be knowledgeable of and adhere to all SPD policies/procedures/SOPs in performance of duties.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent
- Specialized/technical training Completion of a Sterile Processing Program or an accredited Surgical Technician program (no more than 6 months post-graduation).
- Recent graduate (no more than six months post-graduation) from an Accredited Sterile Processing Program
- Working knowledge of instrument processing techniques
- Basic knowledge of computer systems including Windows OS, keyboard and mouse operation.
- Ability to operate sterile processing equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to competently perform multiple, complex tasks.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Sterile Processing Certification Accredited Sterile Processing certification
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $19.50 – $33.15. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post