Under general supervision of the Sterile Processing Supervisor or Sterile Processing Educator, the Sterile Processing Technician (SPT)II serve with basic knowledge of Sterile Processing techniques/skills and is responsible for decontaminating, operationally checking, assembling, sterilizing, and distributing reusable surgical/clinical instrumentation and implants throughout the organization. Operate Steam (autoclave) and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) sterilizers, sonic equipment, automated washers and heat sealers. Store, date, rotate and distribute reusable surgical/clinical instrumentation. All in accordance with department and manufacturer IFU guidelines.
- Assemble and package surgical/clinic procedure instrument sets following protocols established by electronic count sheets and manufacturer IFU. Operationally check instrumentation for functionality and cleanliness
- Disassemble instruments/equipment, remove gross contamination, manually wash instruments, decontaminate and load automated washers according to manufacturer’s instructions for use (IFU).
- Operate and maintain sterilization and disinfection equipment according to established protocols and professional standards. Maintain sterilization documentation related to items processed, quality assurance, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Dispense sterile instrumentation to appropriate locations in the Sterile Storage and OR. Maintain sterile inventory through par level maintenance, stock rotation, and quality assurance. Proper distribution of sterile clinic instrumentation..
- Maintain timely and efficient process flows through communication with outside departments and sterile processing technicians in other assignments. Train and assist other Sterile Processing Technicians in the duties listed above.
- Troubleshoot and address routine equipment, instrument, and customer issues. Interface with OR, ancillary departments, and other customers to resolve issues. Receive loaner trays via Casechek and communicate with outside companies to help resolve instrument issues.
- Prepares loads, operates equipment involved in sterilization processes.
- Must be knowledgeable of and adhere to all SPD policies/procedures/SOPs in performance of duties.
- Prepares OR case carts and places any missing items on the OR shortage list. Inspects packages for indications of proper sterilization.
- Obtain knowledge of documentation and logging of information and use of the Censitrac tracking system
- May train or provide guidance or work direction to the Sterile Processing Technician I as needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Req High school or equivalent
- Req Specialized/technical training Completion of a Sterile Processing Program or an accredited Surgical Technician program. If no completion of program, must have an additional three years of experience as a Sterile Processing Tech.
- Req 1 year Sterile Processing
- Req Basic knowledge of computer systems including Windows OS, keyboard and mouse operation.
- Req Ability to operate complex machinery including washers, ultrasonic cleaners, and sterilizers.
- Req Demonstrated ability to competently perform multiple, complex tasks.
- Req Knowledge of medical terminology
- Req Sterile Processing Certification Current Certification as a Sterile Processing Technician through an accredited organization (HSPA, CBSPD) or Valid Certified Surgical Tech (CST) or Surgery-Certified Credential (TS-C) from CAAHEP or ABHES certification (Must be maintained by renewal before expiration date).
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $20.80 – $35.36. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post