The Laboratory Services Supervisor performs a variety of standardized and highly specialized assays in a specific section of the Clinical Laboratory. As Supervisor, the individual is responsible for technical and staff supervision, administrative management of the section and for assuring proficiency of staff, accurate instrument operation, performance of maintenance and troubleshooting measures, quality control, quality assurance and proficiency testing. The supervisor is responsible for the departmental budget, employee relationships, customer service, performance improvement, and maintaining intra and interdepartmental communication. 24/7 accountability for dual campuses.
- Perform and supervise a variety of manual, semi-automated and automated assays while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and productivity.
- Recognizes normal, abnormal and critical results and taking appropriate action as required, including appropriate considerations for the age of the patient.
- Monitor and maintaining adequate supply levels for a specified section of the laboratory.
- Knowledge of clerical and computer functions and for carrying out additional clinical and clerical duties to meet the needs of the Department and hospital staff.
- Communicate and interact effectively with co-workers and guests of the institution.
- Obtain specimens from designated patients as necessary.
- Adhere to established Hospital and Departmental policies and procedures
- Maintain professional growth and development by attending Continuing Education sessions. Actively participates in the Department’s Quality Assurance program and attends meetings as necessary.
- Instruct, orienting and completing orientation checklist for new employees. Communicates with employees on the day to day operations of the section. Reviews implemented changes with all staff.
- Evaluate new technical procedures and for assuring their accuracy and implementation in the section.
- Manage and monitor quality control data and for the timely performance of calibration and preventive maintenance procedures
- Provide input to annual Performance Appraisal review for staff rotating in section. Assists in the process of commendations, counseling, interview and selection of employees.
- Assist the Department meet accreditation requirements by licensing agencies.
- Reinforce the use of personal protective equipment and maintains a safe work environment, requiring safe work practices.
- Coordinates and integrates department services on intradepartmental, interdepartmental And hospital wide levels.
- Plans for provision of service trough provision of appropriate levels of qualified competent staff. Policies and procedures are in place to support scope of service.
- Establishes and maintains performance improvement and quality control activities which support the department and the hospital.
- Provides for orientation, training, and continuing education of staff.
- Monitor space/resource requirements and utilization of outside resources.
- Assures results are available within defined TAT guidelines
- Adheres to Safety / Infection Control guidelines using personal protective equipment as required
- Willingness to take on new tasks and additional responsibilities
- Displays flexibility to cover the lab in emergencies and difficult staffing situations
- Obtains specimens from designated patients as necessary.
- Maintains an English speaking environment in all work areas
- Adheres to established Hospital and Departmental policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent
- Specialized/technical training Graduate from an accredited Clinical Laboratory Scientist license program.
- 4 years Experience in an Acute Care Facility setting.
- 1 year 1 to 2 years’ in a senior or supervising capacity.
- Prior senior or supervisory experience to include: specialized and complex analysis, computer experience, quality control, calibration, QC evaluation, inventory control, preventative maintenance, and quality improvement.
- Excellent Verbal and written Communication Skills.
- Leading/ guidance skills
- Clinical Laboratory Specialist in Chemistry (ASCP) OR ASCP in Microbiology.
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist – CLS
- Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The annual base salary range for this position is $110,240.00 – $181,896.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post