The Vice President Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) directs the function of setting objectives, planning, organizing and leading the activities of assigned departments/areas of responsibility. The individual has responsibility for providing a patient care environment with exceptional quality and service. Ensures the development and implementation of patient care standards, professional practice standards and the continuous delivery of efficient and cost effective patient care services in the inpatient and outpatient settings and in clinical care areas. Responsible for ensuring that twenty-four hour accountability for the delivery of quality services and operational management of assigned areas is consistently provided. The individual must consistently support the mission and values of the hospital and acts as a role model of clinical care leadership.
- Coach management staff to manage and make improvements in the financial results of assigned departments and services within organizational goals. Review all assigned department requests for capital expense items and submit same with recommendations to Chief Operating Officer.
- Consult with and advise the Chief Operating Officer on issues related to the operation of assigned departments. Recommend changes assigned in policies to carry out objectives of areas of responsibility more effectively. Assist the Chief Operating Officer in the short and long-range planning function.
- Continuously assess and improve the performance of care and service provided.
- Coordinate and integrate inter- and intra-departmental services.
- Determine the qualifications and competence of department/service personnel who provide or support patient care services and who are not licensed independent practitioners.
- Develop and implement orientation and in-service/skills training and continuing education of all persons in departments/ services.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of care and service.
- Guide assigned department/services in complying with regulatory requirements.
- Integrate departments/services into the Hospital’s primary functions.
- Lead the efficient, effective, and quality performance of assigned departments/services of responsibility to support Hospital-wide objectives. In conjunction with Administration, Directors, and Managers, as appropriate, provide for the identification, analysis, development and recommendation of operating policies, systems, programs, and standards, and as approved, documentation, implementation, and compliance. Evaluate the performance of assigned management staff to provide professional development and to maximize contributions toward established goals. Provide effective problem resolution within established guidelines.
- Maintain and improve customer service process and data collection. Develop and implement responsive service improvements.
- Maintain professional affiliations and enhance professional growth and development to keep abreast of latest trends in healthcare delivery systems.
- Maintain quality control programs as appropriate.
- Participate in Hospital/Medical Staff committee meetings as required. Attending and serving on professional/civic service organizations as Hospital representative as directed. Meet with members of the community as required to promote good community relations.
- Participate in the selection of sources for needed care or services not provided by departments/ services within the organization.
- Participation in the development and implementation of hospital-wide plan for provision of patient care hospital-wide policies and procedures (MAPPs), and appropriate departmental policies and procedures that describe how the care/service needs of patients/patient populations are assessed and met.
- Participation with other governance, managerial, and medical staff and other clinical leaders in the decision-making structures and process of the hospital; and responsibility for the implementation of an effective and ongoing program to monitor, evaluate and improve the quality and appropriateness of patient care and service delivered in the hospital.
- Provide and maintain effective communications with Medical Staff, the community and all levels of supervision and staff. Regularly solicit feedback regarding performance, needs and improvements.
- Recommend enough qualified and competent people to provide care and service.
- Recommend space and other resources needed by the departments/services.
- Responsible for the effective leadership of the division, either personally or through delegation, as evidenced by.
- Perform other related duties as required/directed.
- Master’s degree MHA/MBA/MS in Healthcare Administration. A combination of education/experience in lieu of Master’s is accepted.
- 7 years Minimum of seven (7) years progressive experience in executive nursing management position.
- 5 years Minimum five years’ experience in healthcare administration or related field.
- 7 years Minimum of seven (7) years of experience as an RN in an acute care setting
- Experience in hospital administration in a large and complex setting.
- Demonstrated leadership and complex organizational management skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Leadership and communication skills, including serving as facilitator and/or moderator for individuals and groups and writing clear, concise instructions and other documentation.
- An understanding of how to achieve results.
- Information systems capabilities and an appreciation for the data which will be required to make meaningful management decisions.
- Demonstrates ability to utilize effective, appropriate and diplomatic oral and written communication skills.
- Committed to excellence in patient care and customer service.
- Registered Nurse – RN (CA Board of Registered Nursing)
The annual base salary range for this position is $191,360.00 – $315,744.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Apply on this job post